JEE Main Eligibility 2019: Attempts, Qualification & Age Eligibility Criteria
JEE stands for Joint Entrance Exam which is conducted for the admission of candidates to various engineering colleges.
It is constituted by two different examinations
JEE Main 2019 eligibility is published by the National Testing Agency (NTA).
Interested candidates can check the eligibility criteria only if they fulfill then only proceed to apply for JEE Mains application form.
NTA is the main organization which conducts the joint entrance examination.
The exam is conducted in computer-based mode.
A candidate who wants to apply for JEE mains exam is therefore requested to ensure their eligibility to given jee main exam.
In this article, will discuss regarding eligibility criteria for JEE Mains
Let’s get started with basic eligibility
Go through the below-mentioned details for basic eligibility requirement for JEE mains exam. NTA Changes in JEE Mains.
Nationality: Please note that Candidates must be an Indian Citizen.
NRIs, PIOs, OCIs & Foreign national candidates can also apply for JEE mains entrance exam.
Number of Attempts: Candidates can apply for JEE Main exam three times.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2019
Candidates will be considered eligible to appear in JEE main 2019 on the basis of the following parameters,
Go through the below-given table regarding D.O.B and number of attempts.
- JEE Main Eligibility Criteria for 2019
- JEE Main Age Criteria:
- JEE Main Qualification Criteria
- Passing Year Eligibility Criteria for JEE Main:
- JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2019 (State Code)
- JEE Main PWD Eligibility Criteria 2019 – Person with Disabilities:
- Eligibility for Admission in NITs, IIITs and CFTIs:
- The requirement of “Aadhar Card” in JEE MAIN
- JEE Main 2019 – List Of Qualifying Examinations:
- JEE Main Admission Eligibility Criteria (FAQs 2019)
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria for 2019
|Date of Birth||Candidates who are born on or after October 1, 1993, are eligible to apply for JEE Main 2019 exam.
Candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Persons with Disabilities (PWD), must have been born on or after October 1, 1988, to be eligible for JEE Main. Candidates of these categories have been given a relaxation of 5 years.
Note: Date of birth will be considered as mentioned in the Secondary Education Board/ University certificate.
|Qualifying exam||Candidates must have passed class XII or qualifying exam in 2017 or 2018.
Candidates appearing in class XII or equivalent qualifying exam in 2019 can also apply for JEE Main.
|Subjects/subject combination||It is mandatory for candidates to have taken 5 subjects in class XII or equivalent qualifying exam
The 5 subjects for B.Tech/ B.E. are:
1-Language, 2-Physics, 3-Mathematics, 4-Any one of (Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Technical Vocational Subject), 5-Any other subjects
The 5 subjects for B.Arch/ B.Planning are:
1-Language, 2-Physics, 3-Mathematics (compulsory), 4-Any one of (Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Technical Vocational Subject), 5-Any other subjects
|The number of attempts||JEE Main candidates can avail 3 attempts for the national level undergraduate engineering entrance exam.|
JEE Main Age Criteria:
Candidates who date of birth is on or after 1st October 1994 are eligible to apply for JEE main (General and OBC)
Candidates belonging to the reserved category like SC/ST/PWD in such case the date of birth falls on 1st October 1989 are eligible
It is to be noted that the date of birth mentioned in your secondary education certificate will be considered
No. of Attempts & Age limit for the states of Madhya Pradesh & Odisha:
Candidates the age limits for the states Madhya Pradesh and Odisha have joined the system since 2014.
The age limit criteria for admission in the above-mentioned state’s colleges which were earlier admitting candidates based on the state level examinations will be as per their past practice only.
Candidates the total number of attempts will also remain same as followed in the past practice.
This will not apply for admission to IITs/NITs/IIITs/CFTIs.
JEE Main Qualification Criteria
- Candidates must have qualified the 10+2 exams.
- Candidates appearing in JEE mains exam must have passed 10+2 with the maths and physics’ subjects as the compulsory subjects along with the chemistry/biology/biotechnology/technical vocational subject.
- It is to be noted there is no prescribed or criteria percentage or marks required to appear in JEE main exam.
- NIOS participants can also apply.
- Yes, a diploma holder can also apply for JEE mains exam but keep in mind that marks and score in the diploma will not be considered for JEE main.
- Participants no board’s marks will be taken into consideration.
Passing Year Eligibility Criteria for JEE Main:
- Candidates who have to qualify the 12th or equivalent exam in the year 2017 and 2018 are eligible to appear in JEE mains exam 2019.
- A candidate who has not qualified the 12th exam will not be eligible for the exam.
- AICTE or State board of technical education recognized Diploma of at least 3 years duration.
- Candidates who have qualified 12th exam in 2018 & appear for improvement in the year 2019 for one or a few subjects, then top 20 percentile cut-off for 2018 will be taken into consideration.
- Total marks achieved in five subjects are required for JEE mains exam for the percentile system.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) exam (London/ Cambridge/ Sri Lanka) at Advanced (A) level. This is only for admission to IITs.
Note:- it is to be noted that candidates for admission to IITs – the candidate must have cleared at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination at an earlier level, in case the relevant qualifying examination is not a public examination.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2019 (State Code)
Candidates you have to mention the State Code of the State from where you have qualified 10+2 senior secondary or equivalent exam for JEE Main 2019 entrance examination on the basis of which you will become considered eligible to appear in the entrance exam.
|Name of State/ UT||Code||Name of State/ UT||Code|
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands (UT)||01||Lakshadweep (UT)||19|
|Andhra Pradesh||02||Madhya Pradesh||20|
|Dadra & Nagar Haveli (UT)||08||Odisha||26|
|Daman & Diu (UT)||09||Puducherry (UT)||27|
|Jammu & Kashmir||15||Uttar Pradesh||33|
|Foreign/ OCI/ PIO/ Nepal / Bhutan||98|
JEE Main PWD Eligibility Criteria 2019 – Person with Disabilities:
Type of Disability: The candidates with a disability are required to mention in the application form his type of disability and other information asked correctly.
All the information will be verified strictly, therefore, it is advised to fill in the correct details which are best of your knowledge.
Assistance: candidates who are visually challenged have 40% or more disability a Scribe/Reader will be provided at the request of the candidate.
Candidates will not be allowed to bring their own scribe.
Permission: candidates having the disability will have to submit the request to the center superintendent regarding his/her disability at least two days before the examination.
In case a request is accepted then, candidate allowed to meet the scribe a day before the examination to verify the suitability of the scribe.
Duration: candidates who are visually challenged will be provided one hour extra if their request has been taken into consideration by the concerned authority to attempt the exam.
Candidates with 40% or more disability will be provided scribe or reader.
|JEE Main Exam Pattern 2019||JEE Main Physics Syllabus 2019|
|JEE Main 2019 Admit Card||How to Prepare for JEE Main 2019|
|JEE Main 2019 Cut Off||How to Pay JEE Main Fees?|
Eligibility for Admission in NITs, IIITs and CFTIs:
Candidate’s minimum marks required for admission to NITS, IITs, and CFTIs is 75% (65% for SC/ST students) in the qualifying exams or must be in top 20% percentile
Check below table for more information regarding eligibility for admission in NITs, IIITs and CFTIs.
|Course||Criteria Required for Admission|
|BE/B.Tech||Passed 10+2 examination with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of the Chemistry/Biotechnology/Biology/ Technical Vocational subject.|
|B.Arch/B.Planning||Passed 10+2 examination with Mathematics.|
Reservation: It is to be noted that qualifying marks required by SC/ST candidates would be 65% in the class 12th examination to be eligible for JEE Main 2019 Entrance Exam.
Note: it is suggested for the students to check their eligibility to various institutions
Am I eligible for JEE Main 2019? Clear all your Doubts related to Date of Birth, Number of Attempts.
Participants on the basis of following given parameters you will be considered to appear in the JEE main entrance exam. Check the following
- Date of birth
- Qualifying exam i.e. 10+2 or equivalent exam
- Qualifying exam subjects
- Marks secured in the qualifying exam
Aadhar Card is a mandatory document to apply for JEE main exam.
The requirement of “Aadhar Card” in JEE MAIN
Candidates are inquisitive know the importance of Aadhar card
- Aadhar Card Requirement for JEE Main:- Candidates preparing for JEE mains exam should posses Adhaar card as a mode of identification. At the time of application form filling candidates, you have to provide the Adhaar card details such as Aadhar number, date of birth, the name of father/mother & gender will be validated UIDAI system.
- In case the particulars will not match the candidates will not be able to fill the application form for JEE Main.
- Candidates have to check whether their Aadhar card has the correct and valid information.
- If there is a mismatch in the details candidate can apply for the request in the correction of details.
- Candidates who belong to Jammu and Kashmir, Assam, Meghalaya can provide passport number, bank account number or ration number.
JEE Main 2019 – List Of Qualifying Examinations:
Candidates given below is the list of qualifying exam which is eligible for JEE main entrance exam
- The 10+2 examination that is conducted by a recognized central/ state board of secondary education.
- Intermediate examination or two-year pre-university exam are eligible.
- The final exam of the joint service wing of the national defense academy
- HSC vocational examination
- High school examination of the Cambridge University
- International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva. [Only for Admission to IITs]
Please check these given points above carefully as JEE main eligibility criteria for diploma.
Subjects in the Qualifying Examination (QE)
To be considered eligible for JEE mains candidates must have pursued following exam
Candidates who are planning to appear in JEE main must have studied 5 subjects in 10+ 2 secondary education that is considered mandatory to satisfy the eligibility criteria of JEE Main.
I have mentioned below 5 subjects for B-tech / B-E courses which are considered mandatory to appear in JEE main entrance exam 2019
Have a look at the following for your reference
- Chemistry / Biology / Biotechnology / Technical Vocational Subject (Any one of them)
Any other subject
Have a look at the following table
|COURSE||REQUIRED CRITERIA BASED ON CLASS 12TH / EQUIVALENT QUALIFYING EXAMINATION|
|B.E/B.TECH||Passed 10+2 examination with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects
along with one of the ( Chemistry/Biotechnology/Biology/ Technical Vocational )
|B.ARCH/B.PLANNING||Passed 10+2 examination with Mathematics as compulsory subject.|
JEE Main Admission Eligibility Criteria (FAQs 2019)
I Have mentioned below the list of the frequently asked question by candidates who are seeking information regarding JEE main exam.
Let’s have a look at below given question and their respective answers. Check it out
Q. what to do If I fail in one subject in Class 12 examination, can I still apply for JEE Main 2019?
Ans: In that case, better of the scores will be taken into consideration for JEE main entrance exam 2019
Q. Can I apply for improvement in one subject of 12th standard and apply for JEE?
Ans: Yes, sure you can go for it. It will be valid if the attempt is to score 75 % in 10+2
Q. I am a diploma student. Can I apply for JEE Main 2018?
Ans: Yes, of course, why not. You can appear for JEE Main 2018 but only for the purpose of qualifying to appear for JEE Advanced.
But not for admission in NITs, CFTIs and IIITs
Q. I don’t have secured 75% in my Class XII? Am I eligible for JEE Main exam 2018?
Ans: Yes, sure you can apply for the JEE main examination
Candidates for your reference Admissions to NITs, GFTIs and IIITs are open for those candidates who have qualified in JEE Main 2018, have 75% or more in their class 12 or are in the top 20 percentile of their board.
Q. How will I know my State of Eligibility for JEE Main 2019?
Ans: Candidates the state from where you have pursued completed 12th standard qualifying examination will be state of eligibility.
For example, if participants have qualified his/her 12th standard examination from Haryana then his/her state of eligibility will be Haryana.
It is to be noted that the state code of eligibility will be provided by JEE Main 2018 officials and the respective code has to be filled by the candidates in the application form.
Q. What are different reservation categories for admission for Home State Quota seats in NITs through JEE Main 2018?
Ans: Candidates the categories which can apply for the admissions and considered eligible through reservation for All India Quota seats through JEE Main 2018 are – given below
SC/ST/OBC category candidates, Women candidates, PWD candidates with 40% or more disability and home state candidates. The category wise reservation percentage is:
- Scheduled Tribe – 15%
- Scheduled Caste – 7.5%
- JEE Main OBC Quota NCL – 27%
- PWD – 3%
Q. I am dyslexic. Will, I will be included under PWD? What certificates should I submit for this?
Ans: Yes. Dyslexia comes under PWD category.
The following certificates mentioned below have to be submitted by the candidates for admissions
Application for obtaining disability certificate by Persons with Disabilities
- Disability Certificate
- Category Certificate
Candidates you are required to go through the above information for a better knowledge for JEE mains entrance exam.
You are advised to keep regularly check the updates regarding JEE Mains on the official website at https://jeemain.nic.in/webinfo/Public/Home.aspx
I hope the above details regarding IIT JEE main eligibility criteria 2019 is useful for those candidates planning to appear in JEE mains entrance exam.
If you like the above article do share it with friends and community.
If anything goes missing above you can also connect with us through the below comment section.
You can also drop your suggestion below. All your queries and suggestion are warmly welcome. Our aim is to serve and assist with the best. Our experts will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thank you and all the very best for future endeavors.