MBA in Finance Complete Guide
Finance is one of the most popular specialization courses in MBA among the students.
MBA in finance is best suited or recommended to the candidates who aspire to work in the finance sector such as mutual funds and insurance etc.
There are numerous job opportunities, challenging job profile and handsome salary packages for candidates pursuing their MBA in finance.
If you are planning to make Career in MBA to boost up your career then “MBA in finance” is the first option you may consider.
Finance specialization course has relative high weight as compared to the specialization.
The average fees charged by various institutes come under 4 to 20 lakhs.
The syllabus for MBA in advances is designed in such a way to provide knowledge regarding operational aspects of finance and builds the candidates managerial ability and technical skills.
MBA in finance is all inclusive and all rounded which includes technical and managerial aspects in the financial sector.
With the larger number of employment opportunities, MBA in finance opens the door for various fields. Such as
- Corporate finance
- Asset management
- Hedge fund management
- Derivatives structuring
- Private equity
Candidates you must be curious to know what the topics in MBA finance are.
Please check below
- Financial & Management Accounting
- Financial planning
- Banking & Financial Services
- Corporate Finance
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Risk Management
- Security Analysis and Portfolio Management
- International Trade and Finance
- Many other finance-oriented papers
Candidates who wish to pursue MBA in finance are curious to know what the major requirement for it.
Let’s get started with MBAs prerequisite
Participants who want to pursue MBA in finance must have the below given required
- Mathematical and analytical skills
- Communication and managerial skills
- Research ability
Candidates MBA in finance is the most sought-after specialization course in MBA.
You are required to score excellent percentile if you wish to seek admission into top management institutes or B-schools.
Many students have this query on their mind regarding why they should MBA in finance? What are the benefits of pursuing MBA in finance?
In order to sort out your queries, I have come up with the valid reasons considered to pursue MBA in finance.
Why You Should Pursue MBA in Finance?
Finance is regarded as the backbone of any industry.
MBA is a masters in business administration. It is undoubtedly gaining name and popularity among the students.
Finance is one of the most renowned specializations in MBA programs.
MBA in finance opens door to banking, real estate, corporate sector, and investment sector.
Participants if are planning to pursue MBA in HR you must read the following given points
- Handsome salary packages – Students who have done MBA in finance are entitled to great salary packages.
MBA in finance receive relatively higher salary packages.
Finance covers all the industry
- A wide range of topics are covered in finance
Participants finance stream includes a wider range of topics. MBA in finance will impart valuable learning about, finance, leadership, statistics, and marketing.
The curriculum of finance includes
- Stock market analysis
- Foundations in Finance
- Global economy
- Financial instruments
- Futures and options
- Market trading and volatility
- Risk management
- Corporate Finance
- 10 Investment banking
- Exposure to practical corporate life
Candidates MBA in finance will give an opportunity to get practical experience in the finance industries.
Participants in the internship program you can easily pursue training in leading corporate firm/company and learn their required necessary skills and tasks to perform the task.
Various well-known companies such as Amazon, Intel, and Microsoft impart training to the candidates who are pursuing MBA in finance.
You can get the practical experience before your employment phase.
MBA in Finance: Course Highlights
Following are some highlights of a general MBA in Finance course in India-
|Program Duration||2 years (4 or 6 semesters)|
|Number of Management Institutes in India||3900 approx.|
|Associated Key Skills||Capital Management, Asset Development, Fund Management, Risk Management among others.|
|Eligibility||A Bachelor’s Degree in any Discipline. Different Institute might have some additional eligibility criteria.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Test + Group Discussion / Personal Interview|
|Top Entrance Exams||CAT, XAT, NMAT, CMAT, SNAP, MAT etc. management entrance exam|
|Program Fee||Varies from INR 4 to 20 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary after the Program||INR 5 Lacs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Ernst & Young, Genpact, ICICI, HDFC, HSBC|
Career Prospects of MBA Finance
Finance is regarded as one of the highest paid sectors
Some top leading corporates recruit candidates with MBA in finance.
Salary of MBA qualified personnel depends
- Work experience
- Geographical location
Packages given to them are as follow
|Ernst & Young||250,000 – 1,300,000 INR|
|Genpact||200,000 – 750,000 INR|
|Accenture||265,000 – 1,000,000 INR|
|HDFC||200,000 – 600,000 INR|
|HSBC||300,000 – 2,000,000 INR|
The job prospects are high, placement opportunities are considerable in MBA finance.
Candidates MBA in finance holds 26% shares in MBA job opportunities globally. MBA graduates in finance are the first preference of any top leading corporate firms.
It is no doubts in saying MBA in finance graduates enjoy great salary and career prospects.
Candidates who have done MBA in finance are in demand and have a wide variety of career option.
I have discussed below few benefits of pursuing MBA in finance
Let’s have a look
Benefits of MBA in Finance
- The finance sector has one of the finance careers for MBA aspirants
- MBA in finance provide foundation education in statistics, economics, strategy, and marketing
- After successful completion of your course, you can get placement in financial institutions, banks, financial consultation, colleges and universities, and various private and government companies.
- MBA in finance will offer you a wealth of advantages especially when you pursue from top management B-school and top management institute.
- You will receive handsome salary packages
- Landing to the top managerial post and becoming your own boss is cherry on the cake.
- Got access to a large network of business
- You can start your own venture from the scratch
- Pursuing MBA in finance will open door to thriving career opportunities.
- Experience of corporate firm and understanding of culture
Moreover, candidates if you wish to pursue MBA from abroad you will gain a new perspective, how to handle a business and experience of living in a country.
It will definitely enhance your intellectual horizon and business career horizon.
Participants pursuing MBA in finance will enhance your credibility and also your degree will be acknowledged among the business people.
If you are planning to pursue MBA in finance please go through the above points sincerely.
Specialization within finance
If you pursue specialization with finance you will learn and sharpen the required skills
If you want to excel in the investment and finance department.
You can pursue the other specialized courses after completing MBA in finance. Given below are the courses you may refer
CFA (Certified Financial Analyst) – The prestigious CFA is worldwide respected and opens opportunities for you in Finance multifold. You may specialize in are you want to by pursuing CFA.
CFP (Certified Financial Planner):- Administered in India by Financial Planning Standards Board India, this course deals with investments and financial planning and make you a financial planner.
Other specialized Finance Certifications like NSE’s NCFM and NISM courses.
Let’s now discuss regarding a career in MBA finance
Finance is a diverse sector. The career in finance includes the following
- Assets management
- Retail banking
- Financial advisory
- Corporate finance
- Investment banking
- Risk management
- Equity Analysts
- Business analyst
- Personal finance
Under this job profile in the finance sector candidates, your job is to advise individuals and corporations on how to invest the money wisely.
You have to align meeting with your clients, manage their investment accounts and research other investment portfolios and opportunities to maximize profit with minimum risks.
It is considered the best job under finance stream you may consider after pursuing MBA in finance.
An Equity Analyst
You can even be appointed as an equity analyst. The job profile of equity analyst consists of analyzing stocks and investment; look for the reliable stocks to invest money. it is to bring to your knowledge the starting salary of an equity analyst is 3.6 lakh per year and are subject to increment significantly with experiences.
Finance planners – talking about the finance planners they are the experts who assist individuals and companies to plan their finances with the help of budgets and finance goal setting.
It includes financial goals, taxation, planning for retirement. If you are appointed as a financial planner you are expected to earn 3.5 lakh every year and your compensation depends on the performance and the results of recommendations made to the clients.
As we all know after you have done MBA in finance you will be getting numerous career options in the financial stream.
Talking about the investment bank you must have heard the term quite a lot of times
Investment bankers are reliable professionals working in investment banks that invite funds from investors to companies.
It is considered the highest paid job worldwide. You will get paid 8 lakh per year and salary is subjected to increment as per the experience and deliver results.
You can be appointed as a banker in the financial institute. Your role as a banker is to help the customer with banking needs such as deposits, savings, credits, transfer of funds, and credit need.
Coming to the financial managers are the employees who are responsible to manage costs and budgets for the company. They are responsible to manage minimum cost and maximum profit. They do it so by managing working capital, cash, and inventory.
Financial managers are entitled to the salary 9.5 lakh in India.
Other financial roles include
- Fund manager
- Business analysts
Salary of finance professionals is quite attractive along with the challenging work.
Here I have enlisted the top companies in finance to work for. Please have a look
Top Colleges to Pursue MBA in Finance
There are various colleges and top b schools which offer MBA courses programs.
Candidates Top management institutes and college offer the students with best of the opportunities and benefits.
These top B-schools and management assure you of best faculty, all-around learning experience, industrial exposure.
Talking about the best institute in MBA for finance how can we not talk about the IIMs. IIMs give the candidates privilege of learning and understanding of finance in a comprehensive way
The entry to these prestigious institutes is restricted through the CAT exam and other entrance exams.
I have compiled the list of top management institutes for you below please have a look in regarding your reference
- Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Management, Luck now
- Xavier’s Labor Research Institute, Jamshedpur
- Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- S.P. Jain Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Management, Indore
- Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode
- Management Development Institute, Gurgaon
- Faculty of Management Studies, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT)
- Narsee Monji Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- International Management Institute, Delhi
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune
Candidates pursuing MBA in finance from top B-schools gives you an edge over others.
You will receive a plethora of career opportunities if you have done your MBA from leading management institutes.
Popular B-Schools for MBA in finance
Please consider the following’
- Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies, Delhi-NCR
- Bennett university greater Noida
- Xavier Institute of social service
- International school of business and media
- National Institute of bank and management
- Institute of public enterprise
Well, there are many top management schools and institute for finance. But IIMs and FMs definitely top the list.
Top Universities in India for MBA in Finance
- Xavier Labor Research Institute Jamshedpur (XLRI)
- Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai (JBIMS)
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research, Mumbai
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management (LBSIM), Delhi
- International School of Business & Media (ISB&M), Pune
- Lovely Professional University, Punjab
Given below is the list for top 20 business school for MBA
- Stanford Graduate School of Business US
- University of Pennsylvania: Wharton US
- University of Chicago: Booth US
- Harvard Business School US
- New York University: Stern US
- MIT: Sloan US
- INSEAD France / Singapore
- University of Cambridge: Judge UK
- Ceibs China
- Columbia Business School US
- UCLA: Anderson US
- London Business School UK
- University of Hong Kong China
- HKUST Business School China
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University: Antai China
- Iese Business School Spain
- Dartmouth College: Tuck US
- Cornell University: Johnson-US
- Northwestern University: Kellogg US
- Yale School of Management US
If you pursue your MBA from abroad you will definitely get numerous job opportunities and advance the learning of business aspects.
The chance of placement in top companies with high salary packages is also high.
You can even kick-start your own venture from scratch. Benefits of pursuing MBA from the leading business school are numerous not in terms of salary packages but business learning and their practical application to the real corporate world.
Top B-schools excels in great infrastructure facility for candidates, magnificent salary packages and astounding placement.
Candidates, you must have proper knowledge and awareness regarding the top list b schools so that you can set your goal for admission into such leading colleges.
You must keep in mind that entry to these top B-schools is restricted through MBA entrance exam.
Top Companies in Finance to work for
- Banks: HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, Yes Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, IndusInd Bank, SBI, Bank of Baroda and other banks
- Foreign Banks- RBS, Deutsche Bank, Citi Bank, Bank of America, HSBC, JP Morgan Chase, ANZ, Standard Chartered BNP Paribas, Goldman Sachs, UBS, Barclays, Morgan Stanley etc.
- NBFC- HDFC, Bajaj Capital, L & T Finance, Aditya Birla Group,
- Brokerage- Karvy, India Bulls India Infoline, Angel Broking etc.
- Mutual Funds- HDFC Mutual Fund, ICICI Mutual Fund, Reliance Mutual Fund, Birla Sun Life Mutual Fund etc.
- Insurance- ICICI Prudential, HDFC Life Insurance, Reliance Life Insurance, Birla Sun Life, LIC etc.
- Others- CRISIL, Equity Research firms, independent financial firms etc.
Candidates above mentioned are the top companies to work for after successfully completing your MBA in finance.
Top Recruiter for MBA in Finance
Talking about the top recruiter for MBA in finance candidates. Below I have given the list for the same. Please check
- Goldman Sachs
- Morgan Stanley
- Merrill Lynch
- Bain & Co
- Boston Consulting Group
- Lehman Brothers
- JP Morgan
- Deutsche Bank
MBA in Finance Syllabus
MBA in finance syllabus is designed in a way to provide the candidate’s foundation education in the subjects like economic, leadership, statistics, marketing and strategy.
With the freedom of choosing your preferred specialization, you will gain insights into various other subjects related to business and e-learning.
Under the MBA finance syllabus, you have to conduct various case studies and perform real corporate life base projects to strengthens your learning in the specialized subject.
During exposure to industrial visits and training period, you will learn so many things practically.
Before opting MBA in finance, you must be well acquainted with the finance syllabus.
The syllabus/curriculum of MBA is designed to give candidates the skills and knowledge required in business-related careers.
MBA in finance comprises of four semesters which includes the following curriculum. Please check below for the reference
Candidates core syllabus may vary from institute to institute. Core subjects are compulsory
Given below is the list of core subjects and electives.
|Core Subjects (First year of course)||Electives (Second year)|
Quantitative Methods Managerial Economics
Human Resource Management
Information Technology Management Organization Effectiveness and Change
Economic Environment of Business Financial Management
Production and Operations Management
Management of Information System
Some other Electives-
|Behavioral Finance||Financial Markets|
|Business Analysis and Valuation||Financial Modeling Using Excel|
|Capital Expenditure Planning and Control||Financial Risk Management|
|Commercial Banking||Financial Technical Analysis and Introduction to Global Intermarket Analysis|
|Commodities Derivatives Market||Fixed Income Securities|
|Corporate Taxation||Indian Accounting Standards|
|Financial Analysis, Planning and Control||International Business Economics|
|Financial Decision Making under Information Asymmetries||International Financial Management|
|Issues in Empirical Finance||Mergers, Acquisition and Corporate Restructuring|
|Risk Management and Insurance||Security Analysis and Portfolio Management|
|Social Finance, Impact Investing & Insurance||Structured Finance|
Syllabus MBA Finance Semester I
- Modern Business Organization and Management
- Global Business Environment & Economics
- Accounting & Financial Management
- HR & OB
- Business & Corporate Law
- Semester II
- Business Research Methodology
- Modern Marketing Management
- Business Communication Skills
- Production, Operations & SCM
- Information Technology for Business
- Semester III
- Business Policies & Strategic Management
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation Management
- Essentials of Business Finance
- Financial Planning & Analysis
- Team Building and Leadership
- Semester IV
- Business Ethics & Corporate Governance
- Analysis of Financial Statements
- Cost Accounting & Control
- International Finance
Given below is the syllabus for MBA finance advised by various universities and colleges
Syllabus of Finance as prescribed by various Universities and Colleges.
Please go through the below-mentioned list for your reference
- Subjects of Study
- Business Writing
- Calculus for Business
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Institutions
- Introduction to Accounting
- Management Information Systems
- Advanced Marketing
- Money and Capital Markets
- Portfolio Analysis
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Issues in Management and Organization
- Statistics for Business
Eligibility Criteria for MBA in Finance
The eligibility for MBA finance is easy and straightforward.
Please check below
- Qualified entrance exam for getting admission into specific Business College. For example CAT, XAT, and GMAT
- Completed and qualified the bachelor’s degree with 50% percentile
- Graduation and bachelor’s degree in any discipline
- Work experience (well it not mandatory but can be considered or given weight during admission)
- MAT and NMAT exams are also considered to get admission to certain colleges.
Candidates it is to be noted you must ensure your eligibility before applying for MBA programs
Remember your scores play a key role in seeking admission to the desired college of your choices.
Candidates you have to work hard and achieve top scores in order to be eligible for the admission.
MBA in Finance Scholarship
Scholarship on the basis of the pre-defined condition is awarded to some meritorious candidates on a first come first serve basis.
Even the top management institutes offer a scholarship to the students.
For availing this facility you are required to apply well on time in order to improve your chances to bag one.
While applying for a scholarship please make sure that you meet all the qualifying criteria. You can look for the scholarship in the website of b-schools and management institutes.
Given below are types of scholarship in MBA
Have a look at the following
- Need-based scholarship
- Merit-based scholarship
- Combination scholarship
- Essay based scholarship
MBA in Finance Entrance exam
I have listed the four common entrance test for MBA exam;
Application procedure for most of the exam starts from July to October.
It is to notify the entrance exam are held at the end of the year.
CAT is considered to be a most renowned exam for MBA
The selection process includes the following steps
- Shortlisting on the basis of entrance test exam
Please check the below table for the reference
|Entrance Test Score||60-70%|
Candidates the above table depicts how much weight is given to criteria by most of the management institutes.
Please read the above table carefully for your knowledge
MBA Finance Books and Study Material
The schedule of the first year in MBA comprised of two semesters; semester 1 and semester 2
Candidates at the end of the semester you have to undergo a training period or internship based on those candidates have to prepare the project report.
Candidates as we all aware regarding books play a significant role in the preparation of exam
MBA is a top level exam, therefore, you need to study from the standard books and material.
Candidates it is suggested to go through the book suggested by the subject experts.
I have provided below the list regarding books to be considered. Please check below for the reference
- The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham, Jason Zweig, and Warren E. Buffet
- The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing by Pat Dorsey and Joe Mansueto
- Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings by Philip A. Fisher and Kenneth L. Fisher
- Interpretation and Application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles by Steven M. Bragg
- Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors by Michael E. Porter
- Best Practices for Equity Research Analysts by James J. Valentine
Please go through the above table for your reference.
MBA in Finance Fees
Aspirants the application fees charged is rupees 1500/-. For the course laptops are mandatory. The student can obtain the laptop from the universities.
What is MBA in finance and accounting?
MBA in accounting and finance enables the candidates helps the candidates to grab knowledge regarding the tax laws and maintaining the financial records.
The following are the topics which are covered in the finance
- Organizational efficiency
- Business valuations
- Financial statement analysis
- Maintaining successful enterprises
- Innovation management
Accounting and finance degree in MBA prepare the aspirants for the business world through advanced and in-depth studies in finance, accounting, and business.
Students who have pursued MBA in accountancy and finance can boost their career and boost into the lucrative business.
Frequently Asked Questions regarding MBA in finance
Candidates planning to prepare for MBA in finance have many queries in their mind pertaining to the program.
Given below I have enlisted various queries and their respective answers for your reference.
Please check below
- What is the scope of pursuing MBA in finance in the future?
Ans. candidates you will be offered with varied career options and also there is a hike in the salary if you appointed as any post related to finance stream. You will enjoy great career prospects along with the salary increments.
- Can I do MBA in finance after BCA/BA/BCOM/BSC?
Ans. yes, why not! Anyone who is graduate and having a degree in any of the disciplines can do MBA in finance.
- Why do MBA in finance after engineering?
Ans. Candidates pursuing MBA after completing the engineering has become a trend among engineers in the last decade. Pursuing MBA will expand the horizon of their knowledge.
- Does MBA in finance require maths?
Ans. Candidate’s basics math’s are required for MBA in finance. There is certain paper such as accountancy which requires calculations and formulas for that you need to have basic knowledge of mathematics.
- Is MBA in finance a good option?
Ans. Yes, candidates if you have well grasp on fundamental financial concepts.
MBA is finance has gained popularity over the year. The job prospects and job opportunity for MBA in finance qualified personnel are high.
Various top corporate firms, institutes, banking sector recruit the MBA in finance personnel.
Those who have pursued their MBA in finance are relatively given high preference. Mba in finance personnel are entitled to handsome salary packages and benefits.
The reasons listed above shows that it is the most trending specialized stream /program to be opted by the candidates nowadays.
- Can I do MBA in finance after b-tech?
Ans. YES, you can go for MBA in finance. It is always recommended to undergo bachelors program of two years before MBA
Mostly while giving interview students who have done engineering are given considered and placed above all the candidates.
It will help you reach a higher position in your career.
Aspirants! I hope you had a great time reading the above-detailed guide on “MBA in Finance”.
If you like the above article please shares it among friends and communities. Sharing is a great deed.
If you find any flaws in the above content please feel free to connect with us through the below comment section.
All your views and suggestions are cordially invited to this post.
Your suggestion and feedback help us to improve for the better. Our aim is to provide you with reliable assistance. Please keep supporting and stay connected.
All the very best for a bright future! Thank you!